This is a page where we hope to support you in your journey to finding mental health and wellness. We’ve tried to provide a variety of resources. To the best of our knowledge, all descriptions are accurate and up-to-date. If you find an error, broken link, or have another great resource, please email us or use our contacts page. Please be sure to read our disclaimer before utilizing the resources provided.
Jump To Section:
- Making Specialty Therapy Affordable
- Finding Reduced Fee Therapy
- LGBTQIA+ Resources
- Military & Veteran Friendly
- Pelvic Floor & Intimacy Resources
Making Specialty Therapy Affordable
Like all healthcare services, therapy can be costly. The best way to reduce costs is to utilize insurance benefits through an in-network provider or out-of-network benefits. The FAQ & Fees Page has more details about utilizing out-of-network benefits. Make sure you send the superbill we provide monthly to your insurance company. Companies like Reimbursify can also help with this process for a low rate. Please feel free to ask for guidance at any time.
In addition, an FSA account can help cover out-of-pocket costs for therapy. There may be tax benefits associated with your FSA and insurance premiums. Your employer should be able to help you learn more about your benefits).
Finding Reduced Fee Therapy
Therapists Under Supervision
Another way to make therapy more affordable is to receive therapy from a graduate student at a university clinic or a post-graduate practitioner at a group private practice. Therapists complete hundreds of hours during internships to finish their Master’s degree or Ph.D. program. Additionally, in order to become fully independently licensed, therapists must complete thousands of post-graduate hours. Both pre- and post-grad therapists work under the close supervision of trained supervising therapists. These newer professionals often provide high-quality therapy and care deeply about their work.
- CapitolHill Consortium for Counseling and Consultation. A large group practice with multiple locations throughout the DMV and online with options for individual (adults & children), couples, and group therapy. Doctoral and Masters-level students and pre-licensed therapists under supervision can provide reduced fee sessions. They also take all major insurance insurance, including DC Medicaid. They provide psychological testing services in their Virginia (Crystal City/National Landing) location.
- The Pincus Center is a private practice with two locations (Alexandria, VA & Washington, DC). They specialize in individual and couples therapy for adults, with special emphasis on sex and relationship therapy, poly/ENM, BDSM/kink, people-of-size, and LGBTQIA+ care. They often have therapists under supervision who offer reduced-fee therapy. They also offer adult sex education classes and workshops.
- OpenPath Psychotherapy Collective is a nonprofit that allows therapists to provide affordable, in-office and online psychotherapy sessions between $40 and $70. Student interns can offer sessions for $30.
- The Center for Healthy Families is affiliated with the University of Maryland (College Park, MD). They offer a sliding scale for individual, couples, and family therapy. Based on a family’s income, fees are based on a sliding scale ranging from $15 to $120 per session.
- Meltzer Center at George Washington University. On a sliding scale, the clinic provides assessments, admissions testing, and individual therapy for children and adults.
- George Washington Center Clinic. The nonprofit clinic is staffed by clinical externs who are advanced doctoral students in the Professional Psychology Program. Licensed, highly experienced professionals supervise the externs. Offering a sliding scale for psychotherapy and comprehensive psychological evaluations with children and adults.
- Sunstone Counseling is a large group practice with multiple locations throughout Virginia (including Richmond), serving adults, children, teens, couples, and families with a wide variety of needs. Sliding scale and reduced-cost fees are available.
- Active & Connected Family Therapy is a large group practice with multiple locations throughout Virginia and North Carolina with interns offering reduced rates with an average rate of ~$100 for interns, and an average rate of $135-$160 for post-doctoral students. They focus on serving young children, teens, adults, families, and couples.
Military & Veteran Friendly Resources
- Military OneSource counselors are available for free, short-term, confidential counseling services for issues such as relationship conflicts, stress management, coping with loss, and managing deployments. Sessions can take place in person, over the phone, or via secure video or online chat.
- Military and Family Life Counseling (MFLC) supports service members, their families, and military family survivors with confidential counseling where they are stationed to address issues such as improving relationships at home and work, stress management, adjustment difficulties, parenting, and grief or loss.
- Veterans Health (VA) Administration Mental Health Resources Page has a collection of resources to address the unique stressors and experiences that Veterans may face — just a click, call, text, or chat away.
Pelvic Floor & Intimacy Resources
- IntimateRose (Use Code Emma15 for 15% off)
- DipSea (audioerotica)
- Bellessa Boutique
- Pleasure Mechanics – Free mini-course available (The Erotic Essentials)
Disclaimer: Resources and Referrals
Unicorn Healthcare, LLC and its website provide a Resources and Referrals page as a service to our visitors, offering links to various external websites and resources that may be of interest. These links are provided for informational purposes only, and their inclusion does not imply endorsement or approval by Unicorn Healthcare, LLC or any of our providers. Unicorn Healthcare, LLC does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information on these linked websites. The content on external sites may change without notice, and Unicorn Healthcare, LLC is not responsible for the content, products, or services offered on third-party websites. The inclusion of a link on the Resources and Referrals page does not imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within those external websites. Unicorn Healthcare, LLC disclaims any responsibility for the opinions, advice, or content found on linked sites. Users are encouraged to use their own discretion and judgment when accessing external resources through the provided links. Unicorn Healthcare, LLC is not liable for any damages or losses arising from the use of external websites linked from our Resources and Referrals page. Please note that the opinions or views expressed on external websites are solely those of the individual authors or organizations and do not necessarily reflect the views of Unicorn Healthcare, LLC.
By using the Resources and Referrals page, you agree to these terms and acknowledge that Unicorn Healthcare, LLC is not responsible for the content or policies of external websites. If you have any questions or concerns about the content of linked sites, please contact the respective website administrator or webmaster.
It can be daunting to take the first step toward living a life that you love. We are here to listen without judgment and offer an experience customized to meet your unique needs. Contact us today to get started.
703.517.1947 | firstname.lastname@example.org